Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Chili and Date Nut Bread

I'm reading how cold it is everywhere. The same here, brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Though I really want to stick to my 2 day per week raw resolution, I'm having trouble with the cold weather. I'm just craving soup and tea. I've been making a concerted effort to have at least one raw meal it day. That might translate to fruit for breakfast or an interesting salad for lunch.

When the summer months roll around, I'll be preparing more raw foods for sure. What did I cook up last week? Well we had a chili cook-off at work before the superbowl. Since I wasn't planning to partake I made up a batch of VwaV Chili Sin Carne Al Mole. This was my first brush with adding cocoa to a meal rather than dessert. Believe it or not the seitan and spices with cocoa is actually might tasty.

Since I started on the raw kick, I seem to have developed an addiction to dates. Funny because as I child I hated them! Anyway, last night I baked a loaf of Date and Nut Bread from Vegan Vittles. The recipe is not as sweet as I'm used to with other Pumpkin and Zucchini breads, but it very good. It made a great breakfast with some Tofutti cream cheese.

For those of you that have been asking about Little Lad's. I'm posting a photo of the cheese in the container and the package with the label. Everything is very simple. If you are looking to get a hold of their products, I think you'll need to stop in at a local store in Maine. No it doesn't look that appetizing cold, but it sure looked great melted for mac n cheese in my other post!

13 comments:

Dori said...

Wow, that grocery store makes a pretty creatively titled vegan cheese. I congratulate your raw effort, I could easily be this in the summer but not the winter.... it;s just to cold and soup is so comforting.

Nikk said...

I am going to Maine soon, tell me where to get that stuff!

:)

Oh yes, some PPKers in the Boston area have started planning potlucks and get togethers. We just had one last weekend. You should come to the next one!

bazu said...

That date bread looks really good. I used to have something similar when I was a kid, and you're right, it does go really well with cream cheese. Hmmm, that "cheese" alone would be a good reason to visit Maine!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I've been catching up on yours. That vegan cheese looks interesting -- the ingredients are so different from most vegan cheese products. I'm with Bazu -- it gives us all a reason to visit Maine.

Nikk said...

Oh and on the Date Nut bread kick, I have a recipe from my grandmother that I veganized and it is delicious. Definetely a sweet bread.

We're having another potluck in March sometime. The theme is orange food, so sweet potato, squash, pumpkin, orange, tangerine-anything that's orange! We have a thread going on the PPK message board that has the details, but I will keep you updated.

I'm also planning a dessert party at my house hopefully in April.

aTxVegn said...

You didn't say how you fared at the chili cookoff - it sounds delicious! I am really into date bars and breads now too.

That cheese looks really good. I'm sure it will never make it down here to Texas :(

Mikaela said...

A chili cook-off at work? How cool! :)

urban vegan said...

I love dates, too. They are so sweet and carmelly.

Harmonia said...

Interesting cheese! How are you? Things have been crazy but I'm still pluggin away.

Got some stuff going on in Veggin Out when you have a chance to pop in.

Have a great Sunday!

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

how fun to have a chili cook-off! we used to do that at the beach in sd -- we tied for first one year w/a veggie entry. i love date bread -- looks delicious! :o)

Carrie™ said...

I've read chili recipes with cocoa in them, but never made it either. Your photo looks great! That cheese looks like a decent sized tub for $3.49. Too bad I'm not heading east soon. :o( Dates have always been a favorite of mine. Date squares = tasty treat!

Nikk said...

Pssst...we changed the date of the potluck. Check the thread!

KleoPatra said...

Hey, i would love to try some of that "notcho cheez"!!! I'm a fan of dates (and i'm not talkin' 'bout the kind some peeps went on yesterday!)... Good lookin' stuff.

P.S. Thanks for the e-mail... you nudged me w/out knowing it.