Saturday, May 19, 2007

Suburban Computer Geek - Farm Sitting

Ok I haven't posted in awhile, but I do have a better excuse than usual. I've been away for over a week and a half farm sitting for a friend up in Maine. My friends were heading to wedding in Tennessee and needed someone to look after the animals. Unfortunately, I was without Internet at their house.

Portland is a little over an hour south of their home, so I could work out of our Portland office while taking care of the farm. None of the animals are raised for food, otherwise I'd likely have a real hard time with it if I could even agree to do it. They do collect eggs from the chickens, but they have plenty of space and wander about the yard, so they are indeed happy birds.

I'm not a morning person, so waking up at 5am with the roosters was a little painful for me. Though I did eventually get into the schedule. Before heading out to work I needed to check to make sure the chickens, ducks, roosters, horses, bunnies, and geese had food and water. They also have a cat. Their kids have a guinea pig, 2 gerbils, and some fish I had to check on as well. We had some warm days, so I'd often need to check again when I got home.

I'll post some farm pics for you, a few cooking photos, and a couple of shots from a hike I did near their house later on tonight.

3 comments:

MeloMeals said...

Can't wait to see the pics..

Emmy said...

How neat you were farm-sitting. Looking forward to seeing the pics :)

Mikaela said...

Sounds like a fun experience :)