Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Avgolemono Soup

Today, I'm taking a quick timeout from my alphabet scheme, though we are still touring the world. Yesterday was a crazy day. My car was broken into at my office parking garage and that messed up my schedule for the night. After filing the police report, dropping my car off to get the glass replaced, and then getting a rental vehicle, I didn't have much energy to continue with my plan for "E".

On the way home, I did stop to pick up some parsley so I could make a tester recipe that I've been waiting to try. Yup, you heard that right. What do you do after someone breaks into your car? ---Go home and cook.

Suzie from One Chubby Vegan has started some recipe testing for her cookbook. As soon as I saw her post on the Avgolomeno Soup, I knew I wanted in as a tester.

Avgolemono is a Greek soup made with lemon. Eggs are used as a thickener. Could this be veganized? Well, Suzie did it and this soup is marvelous. Thick lemony goodness with seitan, rice and parsley.
Avgolemono Soup

6 comments:

Rachael said...

wow, that used to be literally my favorite soup. There's this little diner in Arlington, MA that used to make it and I'd have it every sunday with brunch. I had completely forgotten about it until now, thanks!

Anonymous said...

im sorry your car was broken. what a day!!

Ashasarala said...

Sorry to hear about your car being broken into. That's awful! I have to say, though, that I would have gone home and cooked too. It's a great way to distract the mind from stressful things and to relax.

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

that soup looks perfectly comforting -- just what you needed, I suppose. Darn those hoodlums - glad you're OK, and I look forward to "E"

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

oh my goodness gracious how terrible!! I'm so sorry that your car was broken into - thank goodness you weren't hurt! yikes :0(

on the bright side, this veganized Avgolemono Soup sounds quite delicious - enjoy it during this tough time! you deserve it!

bazu said...

mmmm, I gotta get my butt into testing gear, because that soup looks seriously good.
I hope you (and your car) are all better now, Jody!