Thursday, November 08, 2007

Bazirgan

My first VeganMoFo post happened to include Amazake from Japan. As I started to think about my plan for the month, I thought why not continue along to the letter B. This month we'll be touring the world and wandering through my cookbook shelves from A-Z.

Today's post is Bazirgan, a Syrian recipe for fine crushed wheat "caviar". The recipe is from A Fistful of Lentils which consists of Syrian-Jewish recipes.

The ingredients called for fine-grain bulgur. I only had medium grain, so it required a trip to the Middle Eastern store. Of course, I had to wander through all the aisles and check out everything. Before leaving, I purchased some whole wheat Markouk bread to use for dipping the Bazirgan. I'd never seen Markouk before. It is paper thin and they fold the large circles to fit in the package. Here's an interesting article about how it is baked by hand in Lebanon.

Here's a photo of a piece Markouk. It unfolds into a 3 foot circle!

Here's the Bazirgan.

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of this recipe. There a lot flavors mixed into one dish. I'm thinking I may add some extra plain bulgur to "water" it down a bit.

5 comments:

bazu said...

Oooooh, thanks for introducing me to this dish-I'd never heard of it before, but it sounds fabulous

Ashasarala said...

I like that idea, dishes A-B. I don't think I cook nearly enough to ever do one myself! I wonder if any meals begin with the letter 'x'. Hmmm...

Ashasarala said...

Whoops... I meant A-Z. That woulda been a short list!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Yeah, my mom is the best :o)

Three-foot-long bread?! Too cool!

Anonymous said...

the food looks good, the bread looks interesting.