Friday, November 09, 2007

Ceviche

Ceviche is a citrus marinated seafood dish that originated in Ecuador. While watching the news the other night, I saw a chef prepare Scallop Ceviche. Since "C" is up next, why not veganize the dish?

I pressed some firm tofu, cut it into cubes, and then followed the same preparation instructions as the scallops. After making some plantain chips, the ceviche was ready to serve. Though the dish is relatively simple to make, the presentation wowed a friend that joined me for dinner.

Tofu Ceviche
A couple of days ago I stumbled upon Meyer lemons at the store. I've always wanted to give them a try, so I was pretty happy to find some. Legend has it, the Meyer lemon is a cross between a lemon and a mandarin orange. This creates a sweeter citrus flavor. After checking some cookbooks and searching the net, I decided on Meyer Lemon Scones from a baking website.

The recipe was easy to veganize, just replace the butter with Earth Balance. I also made the scones slightly more healthy by subbing some whole wheat pastry flour and garbanzo flour. My only suggestion if you try the recipe, use powdered sugar instead of white sugar for the glaze. White sugar sounded wrong to me, but I followed the directions anyway. The topping is ok as is, but not a typical glaze. The scones are delicious.

Meyer Lemon Scones

7 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Kudos to you for veganizing that Ceviche dish!! Looks great!! and the Meyer Lemon Scones sound deliciously sweet!!

Anonymous said...

that ceviche looks good!

Rachael said...

ooh yum...i've been craving scones something fierce for weeks now but haven't sat down to veganize and de-wheat a recipe. I'll have to try some with meyer lemons or at least just citrus.

MeloMeals said...

How creative to use tofu in ceviche..

I have always been tempted by ceviche, not because I want the fish, but because of everything else. Brilliant.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I love your creative alphabet idea!

bazu said...

You are a woman after my own heart- I'm a huge fan of caribbean/ latin american cuisine, especially plantains and ceviche! This post is delectable.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Your ceviche is so creative!! And what lovely looking scones....