Monday, August 07, 2006

Pesto Pasta and Lime in the Coconut...

First, I want to give a quick shout out to a one of my co-workers who just started up her blog called VeggieBake. Michelle started at my company a little over a month ago. I was pretty psyched to have a vegetarian around and I think she was happy to find a someone who could point out all the good lunch spots---the kinds that aren't chains and serve veg friendly foods!

Tonight, I cooked up some more pasta and mixed in the pesto I made yesterday. Tommy gobbled up quite a few pieces of the yummy pasta and this time we were able to hold out long enough to actually snap a photo.

And...behold Dreena's wonderful coconut like cookies. If you have the cookbook, bake these up! Even if you are a chocolate lover like me, you will not be disappointed.

Lastly, I've had a request for more Tommy stories. Tommy is my pet cockatoo. She is a rescued bird. I inherited her from a vet who was caring for her after the owner passed away. Tommy's ankle bracelet shows that she was imported. Though she is wild, I'm not sure she knows that she is a bird. She's grown up with humans all her life and is scared to death of my other little bird Nacho, who wants to be her friend. (Though oddly enough, if I can't get Tommy to eat something and I offer a piece to Nacho, Tommy will immediately try the food she previously eschewed.)

My old roommates had two ferral cats. Tommy was not afraid of these cats and actually loved to terrorize them. She would chase them around the house trying to bite their tails. The funny thing about that is she doesn't usually fly. That means you would see a big white cockatoo walking with her feet turned out (like a penguin) after the cats. If Tommy couldn't find the cats, she would look around the house for them. Tommy knows her own name and she seemed to think that the cats were also named Tommy. She'd wander around looking for the cats, peeking under the furniture and calling, "Tommy, Tommy." At first the cats would come out because they heard what they thought was a human. It only took a few nips from Tommy at their tails for them to ignore her when she called.

6 comments:

KleoPatra said...

That is SUCH a funny and great story about Tommy and the cats!!!

Yummy food, Jody...

Anonymous said...

What a great Tommy story! I used to have a Female Eclectus that would call "Here Kitty Kitty Kitty"... I'm not sure where she learned it, because I've never had cats. Must've been from one of the neighbors, because she never talked before we took her in.

TS said...

Oh, what a great story!! So good to hear success stories with rescued animals, too.

MeloMeals said...

Tommy sounds like such a great friend... I love that you two share food...

Your food looks awesome! One of these days, I will make those cookies. Damn, this vegan stuff.. I used to stay away from sweets and baked goods because I've always hated eggs... who knew that vegan baking would be so good?

Rachael said...

I LOVE when birds walk around on the floor with their big feet all splayed out. My suns and green cheek waddle around on my bed and on the top of their cage and it makes me laugh every time. You are such a good person to give Tommy such good care; 'toos need so much love and attention but they are such amazing birds that it makes it all worth it.

Anonymous said...

I'm cracking up over your story about Tommy and the cats. Kudos to you for adopting him and being such a great mommy. I'm definitely a chocolate person but with all the great press, I'll definitely have to give those cookies a try.