Sunday, May 14, 2006

Breakfast

This morning I had a some left over tofu that needed to be used up. Since I wanted to try a tofu scramble, I paged through a new cookbook and gave it a try. The scrambled tofu from Cafe Max and Rosie's: Vegetarian Cooking With Health and Spirit was very good.

It took about 10 minutes to cook up. Saute onions and garlic and then add mashed tofu, tamari, turmeric, oregano, and sliced mushrooms.

Unfortunately the "bacon" strips are not vegan. They do have egg whites. I'm using up what I have in the house and can't bring myself to waste food by throwing it away. All in all, it was a good breakfast.

Tommy my omnivore parrot actually liked the tofu scramble!

On Thursday last week, my father met me in Boston for dinner at my favorite vegan restaurant called Grasshopper. I had a wonderful tofu and seitan hot pot with lemon grass and pineapple. My sister joined us and complained the entire time about the food. At one point she stated that she would be going home to eat real food.

Ironically, my dad the carnivore chimed in. He told her that the food was delicious. My sister really bothers me sometimes with her comments about my diet.

1 comment:

Beth said...

HI! Complaining about needing 'real food' really struck a chord w/me. My mom is a cardiac rehab nurse therefore is a NO fat fanatic. Dad & I call it 'funny food' & I prefer to do the cooking. Everything in moderation! But I agree that your sister should have been quiet or not joined you. Good for your dad speaking up!!There is always *something* to eat. I hate seafood but found a decent meal in a seafood restaurant without complaint. Happy cooking!