Sunday, May 21, 2006

White Bean Boursin

Since I'm experimenting with veganism at the moment, I purchased the The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook. My first recipe from it was the White Bean Boursin. I really liked it. I'm not sure that I've ever had boursin cheese before, but this was a little cheesy and overall very enjoyable. It was very quick to make. Just throw white beans, dried herbs, garlic, olive oil and umeboshi paste in the food processor.

I mistakenly grabbed Great Northern Beans from the shelf at the store. They are indeed white beans and they worked quite well. Also, I replaced about half of the olive oil in the recipe with soy milk. The author mentions that as a substitution option and I thought it would add a creamy texture as well as provide for less fat.

Umeboshi paste is a Japanese product made from pickled plums. I was able to find it in the International section at the supermarket. I'm hoping to try some other recipes from the book and will post when I do.

1 comment:

Fiber said...

Sounds tasty, and I love the variation of it.
Must try this sometime!