Sunday, May 21, 2006

Fiddleheads!

Today was a very busy day. This afternoon I participated in the Walk For Animals at Borderland State Park. My aunt was also there. As we passed by one of the ponds, I noticed fiddlehead ferns growing.

After the walk, I headed to Whole Foods. I needed to pick up some vegan cookies for a presentation I am hosting in the office on Tuesday. Today was a great Whole Foods run. I found vegan marshmallows which I had not previously seen before. The produce department also had fiddlehead ferns. These are a New England delicacy I am told.

When I was very young we picked fiddleheads and cooked them up. The results were rather disastrous. They were furry and tasted awful. I decided to be brave and buy a quarter pound of these non furry fiddleheads.

At home, I cooked according to the sign on the box in the store. First, I washed them 3 times and then I boiled them for 15 minutes. After that, I sauteed them with garlic and added some salt and pepper. They were tasty.

The rest of dinner was corn roasted with cajun spices on the bbq and some leftover sauteed Field Roast seitan sausage. All in all a good meal. While the corn was cooking, the weather went from sunny to torrential rain complete with thunder and lightening. As I write, it is sunny again and a rainbow just faded away.

That is the second rainbow in about 3 days. On Friday I snapped a quick photo while driving home of another rainbow.

1 comment:

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Hi J - Sad to hear that about fiddlehead ferns, I haven't tried them but have heard good things.

As for the ribs - Let me preface this by saving I'm not a big seitan fan - but I've tried my share. I found the ribs to actually be firmer than most seitan I've boiled or baked. One batch I baked in the oven and then grilled, and another I just baked in the oven and covered in more sauce after. Don't be discouraged - just onto the next recipe!